Updated: Friday, 14 May 2010, 11:34 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 14 May 2010, 11:33 PM EDT
CARMEL, Ind. (WISH) - The attorney for the freshman victims in the Carmel bully assault case is calling for change within the school system and a closer look at the coaches.
His comments come just days before the announcement Monday of potential charges against three senior basketball players.
I-Team 8 has learned the charges announced Monday against the three seniors may be misdemeanor and not felony charges.
Robert Turner represents the freshman victims.
He told I-Team 8, "I don't have the benefit of hearing the testimony the grand jury heard. I do know what my client told me and there were sufficient facts to justify felony charges.”
The case involves three seniors sexually assaulting a freshman on the team bus on the way back from an away game.
Parents and students say the bully assaults have gone on for years.
Turner says in a school setting the kids should have been protected and he questions what the coaches knew.
He said, “Based on what my client told me, there were people in a supervisory capacity that knew about this. If I become aware of any facts that indicate an administrator, coach or whomever, had knowledge of this or tolerated it, I will insist on the pursuit of criminal charges against them, including felony charges.”
The same day the charges are announced, the Carmel school board will consider a new anti-hazing policy that night.
The policy in part states:
"Hazing shall be defined...as performing any act or coercing another, including the victim, to perform any act of initiation into any class, group or organization that causes or creates a risk of causing mental, emotional or physical harm."
For Turner, that's a start.
He said, “The bully or anti-hazing policy doesn’t do any good if no one enforces it and no one in the school system holds them responsible for their failure to enforce it.”
Turner says there are more victims. He knows of three other victims who have stepped forward.
I-Team 8 is told the three seniors would turn themselves into Hamilton County authorities once the charges are announced Monday.
Turner says if this had been male-on-female instead of male-on-male, he feels it would have been taken more seriously and action would have come faster.
I-Team 8 will be there Monday as the Hamilton and Hendricks County prosecutors announce their decision on charges.
A northeastern Indiana prosecutor says police snipers acted appropriately when …