(WISH file photo)
Updated: Friday, 13 Aug 2010, 10:23 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 13 Aug 2010, 10:02 PM EDT
KOKOMO, Ind.(Kokomo Tribune) - A woman suffered second-degree burns to her face, hands and arms after a prank at a westside residence went horribly wrong.
Assistant Chief Brad Myers of the Kokomo Fire Department said the victim, Heather McCombs, 24, put out a cigarette in a coffee can she was using as an ash tray. The can contained gunpowder. When McCombs' cigarette came into contact with the gunpowder, it ignited, causing the burns.
Fire crews responded to a medical call at 1212 W. Monroe St. shortly after 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
When fire crews and paramedics arrived, McCombs was having difficulty breathing. She was initially taken to St. Joseph Hospital, then airlifted to Wishard Hospital in Indianapolis, where she was in stable condition on Friday afternoon, Myers said.
She is being treated for second-degree burns to her upper chest, arms, hands and face.
"It was intended as a joke or prank by people at that residence that ended up turning bad," said Myers.
"We're unsure if McCombs was the intended victim," he added.
At this time, no charges have been filed and the incident remains under investigation by the arson investigator.
"Through interviews with the family and relatives, we don't believe there was anything done in a malicious manner," said Myers.
Anyone with further information about this incident is urged to call the fire department at 765-456-2038.
Mike Fletcher is the Kokomo Tribune crime reporter. He can be reached at 765-454-8565 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to our partner paper the Kokomo Tribune.
Workers who peeled away layers of tin from the facade of a southwestern Indiana …