INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Gov. Mitch Daniels is supporting a trails program included in the federal transportation bill Congress approved this summer.
The federal program has helped Indiana construct 100 miles of trails as the state presses toward a goal of having a trail within 7.5 miles of every Hoosier. Daniels said Thursday that the continued federal aid will help the state hit that target.
Indiana has collected $14 million in federal dollars from the program since 1994. The federal government pays for 80 percent of the cost of a trail while the state kicks in the other 20 percent.
The trails program pays for state to construct multiple types of trails for bicyclists, walkers and joggers, equestrians and off-road vehicles.