Updated: Saturday, 12 Jan 2013, 8:18 AM EST
Published : Saturday, 12 Jan 2013, 8:07 AM EST
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - With the right fresh ingredients, you can lower your cancer risk, boost your immune function that protects you from the flu, and potentially increase your lifespan. Chef Wendell shows us how to add some of these healthy foods into your diet:
1. Cooked Asian Mushrooms (Serving size: Unlimited)
• Shitake, Maitake, oyster and enoki:
• Immune system boosting compounds, helping to prevent illness.
• Less than 100 calories per cup.
2. Beets (Serving size: Unlimited) Not a lot of people care much about beets.
• A source of phytonutrients that cool off anti-inflammation and detoxify the liver.
• Beets have a wide variety of cancer fighting vitamins and nutrients our bodies need.
3. Cruciferous Vegetables (Serving size: Unlimited)
• Cruciferous vegetables belong to the cabbage family.
• They protect against cancer.
• Look for cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, kale and Brussels sprouts.
4. Healthy Fats (5-7 serving a day; 1 serving is equal to 1 teaspoon of oil)
• omega-3 fatty acids
• Get good oils from: hemp seeds, flaxseeds, fish and walnut oil, olive oil, and omega-3 eggs.
5. Green Tea
• 22 studies between high tea consumption and reduced risk for lung cancer concluded
• Increasing your daily intake of green (not black) tea by two cups may reduce the risk of developing lung cancer by 18%.
• Shown to fight obesity and lower LDL "bad" cholesterol