The mission of the Indiana Recycling Coalition is to support source reduction, reuse, composting, and recycling activities in Indiana. The Indiana Recycling Coalition supports policies and programs that advance sustainable materials management. The goal of this support is to conserve our natural resources, reduce energy use, encourage environmental responsibility and create green jobs through recycling.
The process of recycling old paper into new paper might sound like it would be complex, but in reality, it's pretty straightforward. If you're feeling ambitious, you could even try to recreate this process yourself using everything from old wrapping paper to junk mail.
Paper Grades - There are five basic paper grade categories, according to the EPA . While these terms may be most useful to paper mills looking to process certain kinds of paper, you may hear these terms once in a while, and it's possible you'll need to be able to distinguish between them.
- Old Corrugated Containers - You might know this as "corrugated cardboard." It's most often found in boxes and product packaging.
- Mixed Paper - This is a broad category of paper that includes things like mail, catalogs, phone books and magazines.
- Old Newspapers - This one is pretty self-explanatory. Mills use newspapers, a lower grade paper, to make more newsprint, tissue and other products.
- High Grade Deinked Paper - This quality paper consists of things like envelopes, copy paper and letterhead that has gone through the printing process and had the ink removed.
- Pulp Substitutes - This paper is usually discarded scraps from mills, and you probably won't have to worry about running into it, though it may find its way into products you buy.
Saturday marks the one-year anniversary of the deadly shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
The snow heading toward Central Indiana comes during a major weekend in downtown Indianapolis.
A team of Indiana University experts is helping NASA with its ongoing mission to keep tabs on Earth's vast polar ice sheets.