Huge portions. Delicious meals. What are you waiting for?! Bern Rehberg and Erik Marks of Metro Diner show us what's on the menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner!About Metro Diner:
- This is Metro Diner's first university campus location at 4702 Sunset Ave. The new space will be located on the ground floor of a new multi-use parking structure directly between Clowes Hall and historic Hinkle Fieldhouse on Butler University's campus.
- Guests will be able to sip on beer, wine and mimosas at the new location which is a new feature that was recently rolled out at the other two Indianapolis Metro Diner eateries in Clearwater Crossing and Greenwood.
Grit Cakes: Make the day prior to serving
4 ounces~weight Andouille Sausage
½ cup Roasted Red Bell Peppers
2 quarts Water
12 oz.~weight Grits
½ cup Half and Half
1 oz.~weight Butter, unsalted
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Black Pepper
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Everyone has their favorite grits recipe so feel free to make your own…or here's one to get you started.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add 12 oz. (weight) of grits, stir and simmer covered for 25 minutes or until completely tender.
- Meanwhile, mince 4 oz. (weight) of andouille sausage and ½ cup of roasted red bell peppers. If you use a food processor, be sure to mince these two ingredients separately and do not make a paste.
- Once grits are fully cooked, add all of the ingredients and stir to full blend.
- Pour into a greased glass casserole dish to a depth of 1 inch. You might need more than one dish.
- Let the grits cool uncovered until they become solid.
- Once hardened, remove whole cake from dish and cut into 3 inch by 4 inch rectangles.
- Dip in egg wash and then coat in bread crumbs. Set aside refrigerated.
2 each Fried Grit Cakes
½ cup Andouille Sausage, ¼ inch half moons
2 TBS Onions, ¼ inch dice
2 TBS Green Peppers, ¼ inch dice
8 each Raw Shrimp, peeled, no tails
12 fluid ounces Cream
1 TBS Cooked Bacon, ¼ inch diced
1 TBS Green Onions, ¼ inch sliced on a bias
- Deep fry breaded grit cakes until crispy and heated through.
- In a large saute pan, saute onions and pepper until they start to soften.
- Add andouille sausage and shrimp and cook until shrimp are 50% cooked.
- Add creamy shrimp sauce, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
- In a large serving bowl, stack the two grit cakes and then pour the entire contents of the saute pan over the cakes.
- Garnish with chopped bacon and green onions.
4 slices Thick, hearty white bread
4 slices American Cheese
6 slices Bacon
2 slices Tomato
1 each 8 oz. Burger Patty
As Needed Salt & Pepper
As Needed Mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, pickles (mixed together)
As Needed French Fries, dill pickle spear and lots of napkins.
- Build two grilled cheese sandwiches using the bacon, tomato, cheese and bread.
- Season and grill a burger to your desired degree of doneness.
- Mix mayonnaise, shredded lettuce and chopped pickles.
- Place burger on top of one grilled cheese sandwich.
- Top with pickle slaw mixture.
- Top with the second grilled cheese sandwich.
- Place a frill pick in each half of the sandwich and cut diagonally.
- Serve with French fries and a pickle spear.
To learn more, visit www.metrodiner.com.