By Chef Nikki Shaw
1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
1 pound ground turkey or spicy Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, crushed
½ cup onion, finely chopped
½ cup carrots, small dice
½ cup zucchini, small dice
½ cup yellow squash, small dice
3 cups basil & herb spaghetti sauce
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook whole wheat pasta according to directions on box. When done, drain pasta in colander. In a large skillet, cook turkey, garlic and onion on medium-high heat for 10 minutes until done.
2. Add carrots, zucchini, squash and sauce to pan. When sauce begins to simmer, reduce heat to low. Cook sauce for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Serve pasta in a large bowl with sauce on top. Suggestion: garnish with fresh basil leaves & grated parmesan cheese.
servings: 10 / prep time: 20 minutes / cook time: 25 minutes
- Healthy recipe, loaded with vegetables & whole wheat pasta.
- Smart choice, using ground turkey instead of beef.
- Perfect for a large party, one-dish meals are cost effective & can feed an army.
- Great date recipe, because it's light & you won't feel sluggish.
- Kid friendly, noodles are "fun-food".
- Save time, double the recipe for convenient left-overs all week.
- Simply add a loaf of warm garlic bread, a fresh green salad & dinner is done!
The Marion County Prosecutor's Office has been busy calculating the costs of the David Bisard trial.
Some delivery workers, including USPS workers, are working in the dark to get packages to your door.
One week after someone shot and killed a Lawrence man during an attempted robbery outside his apartment his community is fighting back with cash.