Accused Waffle House gunman captured after police receive tip

ANTIOCH, Tenn. (WKRN) - After a more than 30-hour manhunt, Metro Nashville Police Department said the 29-year-old man accused of opening fire at an Antioch Waffle House and killing four people has been arrested thanks to a citizen's tip.

Travis Reinking was captured in some woods off Mountain Springs Drive, near Hobson Pike and Old Hickory Boulevard, and about a mile away from where the deadly shooting happened around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

Police said residents in a nearby apartment complex saw him walking near the Tenneessee Valley Authority power line near Hobson Pike. A citizen immediately called police, and police converged on the area and quickly took Reinking into custody.  

At the time of his arrest, Reinking was dressed in a maroon shirt and jeans. He was also carrying a backpack, which had a silver semi-automatic weapon, ammo, a flashlight and a holster inside, police said. In his back pocket, he had his wallet and Colorado ID, which is how police identified them.  

Police said Reinking was taken into custody without incident just before 1:10 p.m.

He was taken to General Hospital to be checked out before being booked into the Metro jail. He faces at least four counts of criminal homicide and other charges.

At the time of his arrest, police said Reinking looked tired and it remains unclear where he has been since the mass shooting.

Reinking is accused of opening fire at the Waffle House on Murfreesboro Pike in Antioch early Sunday morning. Four people were killed and several others were injured.

One patron inside the diner, James Shaw Jr., was able to wrestle the gun away from the suspect before the gunman fled on foot.  

“If I didn’t rush him I probably wouldn’t be here,” said Shaw. ”I just knew it was me or him.”

Mayor David Briley praised the hard work of the Metro Nashville Police Department for taking Reinking in custody.

"Yesterday was a horrible day for the city of Nashville," Briley said.  "He's no longer a threat to the people of our great city, which has responded with urgency and compassion."

The mayor also offered a commitment to help the families who lost loved one in the shooting Sunday morning and for those victims who remain hospitalized.

"We continue to mourn each of the victims whose lives were cut short and grieve with their families and friends. Everyone should be able to go to a restaurant or church or school without fear. I'll do everything I can to make that possible. If we all come together for the greater good, we can take weapons of war off the street," Mayor Briley said.

Reinking faces four counts of criminal homicide, among other charges.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said it is possible Reinking's father could face charges if he did in fact return his guns to his son that were previously confiscated.

It's still unknown how Reinking got the guns that were previously take from him.

FREE News & Weather Apps

Get the Storm Track 8 Weather App

Download the WISH-TV News App

Latest Forecast

Local Headlines