MERRILLVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Police in northwestern Indiana say two children and two adults have been found dead inside their home from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Merrillville Police Chief Joseph Petruch says a relative found the family members dead Wednesday evening after going to check on them. Petruch tells The Times of Munster that the carbon monoxide came from a generator found in the home's garage.
Petruch says the rental home in the town just south of Gary didn't have electrical power. He says investigators believe the family could have died Saturday.
The Lake County coroner's office says those who died are 41-year-old Micheal Nichols, 38-year-old Kennetha Purnell, 13-year-old Matthew Nichols and 11-year-old Morgan Nichols.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The federal government says nearly 3,500 Indiana residents chose a health insurance plan through the federally run online exchange during its first two months of operation.
A cooling system at a women's shelter near Community Hospital was stripped of copper early Tuesday morning.
Walking into Ed Krzemienski's westside, ranch-style home, the sight of the toys, the electric train set and the foosball table leads you to two conclusions: Like a lot of guys, he has young kids, plus a well-honed sense of competition.