INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - More than 4 million Hoosier drivers could soon be part of a lawsuit against the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
Indianapolis attorney Irwin Levin, of Cohen & Malad LLP, filed a lawsuit in Marion County Superior Court in March claiming the BMV has charged drivers too much for their licenses. The lawsuit claims all drivers under the age of 75 who obtained or renewed a license since 2007 were overcharged by as much as $7 per license.
The suit seeks more than $30 million in damages.
On Monday, Marion County Judge Heather Welch granted the lawsuit class-action status. All Indiana drivers under age 75 who would have a claim against the BMV will be a part of the lawsuit, unless they specifically opt out.
"The certification of this class means the lawsuit can move forward," Levin said in a statement. "We intend to save taxpayer money by moving the case quickly and resolving this lawsuit by the end of the year. Hoosiers deserve to get their money back and we're going to work hard to make that happen."
A BMV spokesman has previously declined to comment on the lawsuit, citing the agency's policy on pending litigation.
Staff at an Anderson women's shelter say they're thankful thieves didn't tamper with their heating system. But, they did get away with plenty of copper.
As the year draws to a close, Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard says he's still waiting for something he asked for back in March.
Black ice likely caused an accident Wednesday morning in Boone County.