INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Alternate heating sources like space heaters can be deadly, Indianapolis Fire Department and Citizens Gas officials say.
The department and gas company are urging caution as temperatures dip and people look for ways to keep their homes warm.
"Each year the Indianapolis Fire Department responds to dozens of house fires that are started because people have chosen to heat their homes with devices like space heaters, candles or ovens," IFD spokeswoman Rita Burris said in a news release. "When used correctly, alternative heating sources can be effective. However, often times people fall asleep with a space heater turned on or a candle burning. That's when alternative heating sources become dangerous and sometimes deadly."
IFD says heating is the second most common cause of fires. Citizens Gas says its customers have already begun turning on their heat.
The company and fire department have the following tips for home heating:
- Have furnaces and chimneys checked regularly.
- Check smoke detectors to ensure they're working and have fresh batteries.
- Create a 3-foot safety zone around any space heaters to keep them away from flammable items.
- Don't use a gas oven to heat a home, as it can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
9 P.M. UPDATE: The winter storm warnings have been canceled and most snow is coming to an end. The colder temperatures were starting to move into central Indiana.
Carmel has a voice in the climate change discussion.
It's been a busy 24 hours for road crews in Indiana. And for many south of Indianapolis, the work isn't close to being over.