INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The group Mayors Against Illegal Guns says gun control is their top priority.
The group has three primary goals:
- Ban military style assault weapons, including high capacity magazines
- Require everyone who buys a gun to pass a background check
- Classify gun trafficking as a federal crime
This is part of a nationwide campaign, spearheaded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
It's made up of more than 800 mayors nationwide; six are from Indiana:
- Mayor Richard Hickman (D), Angola
- Mayor Mark Kruzan (D), Bloomington
- Mayor Thomas C. Henry (D), Fort Wayne
- Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson (D), Gary
- Mayor John A. Wilkes (D), Linton
- Mayor Dennis Tyler (D), Muncie
Critics say this proposal will unfairly restrict guns for those who don't break the law.
A winter storm warning is in effect for most of Central Indiana.
It's very rare that a single person can reach across national, racial, and spiritual borders to bring such hope and healing.
Dispatchers with Indiana State Police say a vehicle left the roadway Thursday night off of Interstate 69.