INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The group Mayors Against Illegal Guns says gun control is their top priority.
The group has three primary goals:
- Ban military style assault weapons, including high capacity magazines
- Require everyone who buys a gun to pass a background check
- Classify gun trafficking as a federal crime
This is part of a nationwide campaign, spearheaded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
It's made up of more than 800 mayors nationwide; six are from Indiana:
- Mayor Richard Hickman (D), Angola
- Mayor Mark Kruzan (D), Bloomington
- Mayor Thomas C. Henry (D), Fort Wayne
- Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson (D), Gary
- Mayor John A. Wilkes (D), Linton
- Mayor Dennis Tyler (D), Muncie
Critics say this proposal will unfairly restrict guns for those who don't break the law.
Greenfield police officers are spending their Sunday giving 41 deserving children a day out on the town for the holidays.
A winter weather advisory was issued for Wayne, Union, Switzerland, Ripley, Ohio, Franklin, Fayette and Dearborn counties on Saturday night.
IMPD officials say a 3-year-old boy has died after he was shot in the head Saturday evening.