GOSHEN, Ind. (AP) — A state highway in northern Indiana was closed for several hours as firefighters worked to extinguish large fire at a barn where recycled wood used for animal bedding is stored.
The fire broke out about 6:30 a.m. Tuesday at Martin Animal Bedding along Indiana 119 near the Elkhart County city of Goshen, causing a large plume of smoke that could be seen from miles away.
The Elkhart Truth reports the flames were extinguished by late morning, but crews were digging into the smoldering wood pile to reach hot spots.
Elkhart Township Fire Department Chief Ryan Rheinheimer tells WSBT-TV that the fire involved wooden skids, scrap wood and sawdust.
Firefighters from 10 departments were called to the scene about 25 miles southeast of South Bend.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Hoosiers saw unbearably cold temperatures Thursday morning.
Mintonye Elementary School may be ready to open in August, but Southwestern Middle School won't be ready. That's the preliminary assessment Superintendent Scott Hanback told the Tippecanoe School Corporation school board Wednesday evening.
State police and the Indiana Department of Transportation say public safety is being endangered by metal scrappers.