FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) - A Fort Wayne fire fed by natural gas has forced at least 16 people from their homes.
The fire began early Tuesday in a building housing an antique shop and apartments. Once firefighters learned of the natural gas, they evacuated six houses.
No one was injured, but the building and virtually all of its contents were destroyed.
Rick Meyer, owner of Meyer Creek Antiques, tells The Journal Gazette that the fire kept growing because crews were stymied in turning off the gas. He said that the fire would be put out, but then the building would fill with gas and the fire would restart.
Firefighters say an accumulation of gas between the first and second floors caused a small explosion.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A winter storm warning is in effect for most of Central Indiana.
An Illinois man was killed late Thursday when the car he was driving was struck by a semi tractor on I-70 about three miles west of the Cambridge City exit.
It's very rare that a single person can reach across national, racial, and spiritual borders to bring such hope and healing.