INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Research from Harvard University says a plant-based diet is healthiest for a full and happy life. But you knew that already. Food activates your brilliant inner intelligence, so quality trumps quantity. Here is an Asian dish you can try on Meatless Monday’s that will please the whole family and keep health care cost down.
- Choose more fresh vegetables and fruits. Go for color and variety—dark green, yellow and red.
- A diet rich in vegetables and fruits: Lower blood pressure; reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, and probably some cancers; lower risk of eye and digestive problems; and a mellowing effect on blood sugar that can help keep appetite in check.
- The protein in tempeh is excellent for diabetic patients, who tend to have problems with animal sources of protein. The protein and fiber in tempeh can also prevent high blood sugar levels and help in keeping blood sugar levels under control.
Asian Barbequed Tempeh with summer vegetables and cashews
Tempeh is high-protein fermented soybean cake. Tempeh is more easily digested than tofu and does not have a specific taste, but like tofu, will take on the taste of the dish it is used in.
4 tsp. Hoisin Sauce
2 ½ tsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. Wheat Free soy or Tamari
1 tsp. corn starch
1 tbs. toasted sesame oil
Hot pepper flakes-Blood circulation
4 garlic cloves, minced-Anti-cancer
1-1/2 tbs. grated fresh ginger root-Anti-inflammatory, liver cleanse
1 (8 oz.) pkg. tempeh, cut into half-inch cubes-Protein and fiber
1 pound of assorted colorful summer vegetables, cut into equal size pieces.-Fiber, Antioxidants, Folate, vitamins and minerals.
1/3 cup unsalted cashews-Protein & Cancer and heart protection, hair & skin health
- Wash then cut the veggies into 1 inch equal pieces.
- Whisk together the hoisin, 2 1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and ½ cup water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat skillet or wok over medium heat; add oil ginger and garlic.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute
- Remix the hoisin mix. Add tempeh and hoisin mix to the pan. Stir to coat.
- Add veggies and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Top with cashews and chopped green onions and serve.
For more Gr8 Health recipes from Chef Wendell, please visit his website.
Indiana State Police this year have a new weapon in the fight against crime and terrorism but one that can also track you and every call you make.
The Capital Improvement Board voted Monday to spend close to $200,000 on a master plan for tourism in the Circle City.
The girlfriend of one of the north side home invasion suspects was arrested Monday.