INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - This autumn, there’s pumpkins-o-plenty. The super-star of super foods is a health powerhouse can be used as a low calorie appetizer, snack or side dish. Buy local and Support your local farmer.
- Low calorie
- High fiber
- Packed with Vitamin A / beta carotene and potassium.
- Rich in minerals, vitamins.
- Controls cholesterol and weight reduction.
- Pumpkin contains anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E.
- Featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin A is a powerful natural anti-oxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucus membranes. It is also an essential vitamin for good visual sight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin A help a body protects against lung and oral cavity cancers.
- It is also an excellent source of flavonoid compounds such as carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin A inside the body.
- Zea-xanthin helps protect from "age-related macular disease" (ARMD) in the elderly.
- The fruit is a good source of B-complex group of vitamins like folate’s, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.
Thai Pumpkin Stir Fry
Serves: 2 - 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
2 cups ‘Pie’ pumpkin, sliced into thin strips 1 x 1 1/2
3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced thin
1/2 cup scallions (use white and green sections) cut into 1 lengths
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon raw honey
Wheat-Free soy sauce to taste
1 1/2 tablespoon expeller pressed vegetable oil
- Heat oil in wok over high heat. Add the chili and garlic and fry until the garlic turns golden.
- Add the pumpkin, toss to coat with oil, and add enough water to just barely cover the pumpkin. Add vegan sugar, salt, pepper and soy sauce. Check seasonings. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook until pumpkin is soft. If it begins to dry out add enough water to make a little sauce, checking seasonings.
- When pumpkin is cooked through, add the scallions and squeeze a bit of lime juice over the mixture. Cook for 30 seconds more and remove from the heat. Serve with rice
For more Gr8 Health recipes from Chef Wendell, please click here.
A winter storm warning is in effect for most of Central Indiana.
An Illinois man was killed late Thursday when the car he was driving was struck by a semi tractor on I-70 about three miles west of the Cambridge City exit.
It's very rare that a single person can reach across national, racial, and spiritual borders to bring such hope and healing.