INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Many consumers still believe coconut oil is unhealthy. We were told Coconut oil was "dangerous" saturated oil by the margarine promoters.
However, a Harvard Medical School researcher proclaims, "coconut oil has a neutral effect on blood cholesterol, even in situations where coconut oil is the sole source of fat." It's One of the healthiest, most versatile oils in the world.
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and The Weston A. Price Foundation: Two thirds of this saturated fat is medium chain fatty acids which are absorbed by the body quickly and immediately used for energy. Medium chain fatty acids also enhance immunity.
BENEFITS OF RAW, UNPROCESSED COCONUT OIL/MILK:
• Non hydrogenated
• A saturated fat, HOWEVER, contains medium-chain fatty acids:
• Lauric, Caprylic, and Capric acid help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
What you need to know about Coconut Oil:
• Boosts the immune system.
• Natural anti-inflammatory healing properties.
• Effective treatment for Alzheimer's
• Improved IBS and Crohn's symptoms
• Rich in vitamins and minerals
• Antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal. It kills all the bad stuff in your body.
• Boost energy and endurance
• Boosts thyroid function
• Improves insulin and blood glucose
• Protects against osteoporosis
• Protects against cancer
• Supports healing and skin repair.
• Softens skin, prevents wrinkles
• conditions hair, controls dandruff
• Plus you'll get the best shave of your life
HOW TO USE IN THE KITCHEN:
• Fry eggs
• Bake cookies and cakes
• Green Tea-1 tablespoon
• Sauté Vegetables
• Over WARM oatmeal
• With summer Berries
Recipe: Coconut Whipped Cream
1—15 ounce can of full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. raw honey or
1 pkg. stevia
• Without shaking it, open the can and spoon to layer of thickened coconut cream into a mixing bowl
• Reserve milk or drink it.
• Whip with electric beaters, starting on low and move to high until creamy. Move the beaters up and down to infuse cream with air.
• Add vanilla and sweetener; stir and combine
• Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to 3 days.
1/4 cup almonds
2 Tb. pecans
pinch of salt
1/4 cup Medjool dates, pitted
In your food processor, pulse the almonds, pecans and salt until a fine meal texture is achieved. Add the dates and process until the crust stays together when pressed between your fingers. Divide the mixture between two mini tart pans and press evenly across the bottom and up the sides. Allow to set in your freezer while you prepare the filling.
In your food processor combine all of the filling ingredients and process until smooth. Spoon into the prepared tart shells. Spread evenly. Garnish with whole pecans. Allow to set in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Snow that moved through Central Indiana this week has wrapped up, leaving some areas with more than 10 inches of snow.
Beans, once called the poor man's meat, are cheap! In fact, there is absolutely nothing in the grocery store that is a bigger bang-for-the-buck than beans, peas and lentils.
College football fans will flock to Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday for the Big Ten Football Championship Game.