RUSHVILLE, Ind. (WISH) - One family filed a lawsuit last month and are seeking compensatory damages from Rush County Schools after their son was attacked last year.
Matthew and Nicole McDaniel say they filed the lawsuit on April 4th because the school district failed to protect their child.
24-Hour News 8 news partner The Rushville Republican reports a 13-year-old boy was violently attacked Sept. 17 at Benjamin Rush Middle School, and it was caught on video surveillance.
The boy told police he was walking to his locker when a 15-year-old student came up from behind and punched him repeatedly. He had a concussion, and had cuts on his lips and head.
Court documents say two students went to find staff but there wasn't an employee anywhere nearby. Staff didn't notify the boy's parents until more than an hour later.
The boy's attacker told others he planned the attack the day before, court documents said. He was arrested on a battery charge and released to his parent's custody. He is on probation.
About 130 Indiana National Guard Soldiers returned home Wednesday to friends and family after nearly a year in Afghanistan.
Federal investigators are looking into multiple cases where counterfeiters have floated fake $100 bills. According to police reports, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department arrested three people for printing off the fake bills.
Update: According to the Lafayette Police Department, Lafayette area schools have been checked and the threat has been deemed not credible and lockdown lifted.