INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - A couple's Christmas party ended early when a fire broke out Monday night.
The Indianapolis Fire Department was called to the 700 block of Sunridge Court shortly after 8 p.m. to the report of a residence fire.
When crews arrived they learned the homeowners lit a fire in their fireplace but failed to open the flue, causing a fire in the attic area connected to the chimney.
When relatives noticed a smell in the home, they went outside and saw smoke coming from the chimney.
The fire was extinguished in 30 minutes. There was severe damage to the home. Damages are estimated at $80,000.
No injuries were reported.
IFD would like to remind residents to have your fireplace and chimney checked before using them.
Employees at some Indianapolis fast food restaurants will take part in a 100-city strike Thursday morning.
Police dispatchers in Hancock County say two medical helicopters were called to the scene of a crash late Wednesday night.
SWAT members were called to the city's northwest side Wednesday night.