INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - An Indianapolis family of five along with their four pets were forced into the bitter cold early Tuesday when fire broke out in their east side home.
Mary Hart told firefighters that her smoke detectors woke her and her family up shortly after 3:30 a.m., as thick black smoke filled the residence.
All escaped the one story residence in the 200 block of Belmar Avenue without injury.
The family had a fire burning in the wood burning fireplace and believes that a crack or hole in the metal firebox may have allowed embers to travel into the wall touching off the fire.
Firefighters brought the flames under control quickly while dealing with frigid morning temperatures and ice-covered fire gear.
Damage is estimated at $70,000.
Governor Mike Pence and executives from Allegion announced Wednesday morning that the company will base its North American headquarters in Carmel, creating up to 100 new jobs by 2014.
The federal government says nearly 3,500 Indiana residents chose a health insurance plan through the federally run online exchange during its first two months of operation.
A cooling system at a women's shelter near Community Hospital was stripped of copper early Tuesday morning.