INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Heating a home with stove top burners led to a house being destroyed Tuesday morning on the near southwest side of Indianapolis.
A family of five lived in the home that was destroyed. The house did not have a furnace and the family relied on space heaters for heat. The homeowner told firefighters he turned all four stove burners on high and left the room. About 10 minutes later, the home was filled with smoke.
"(My boyfriend) turned on the stove and just tried to warm us all up for the day. I don't know how it got caught or anything," said Trinity Maple who lived in the home. "He was getting the house warm for me because I was getting ready for work. Our pipes froze up so I couldn't (use) the shower. He was going to make me breakfast."
Homeowner Bud Qualls said he smelled and then saw the smoke. He told the family to get out.
No family members were injured, but a firefighter suffered a slight steam burn and was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital for treatment. One pet dog died in the blaze.
PHOTOS | View images from the scene
Firefighters battled the fire in the 1400 block of Kappes Street for about an hour in the cold. They were sent to the house around 7 a.m. Tuesday.
Indianapolis Fire Department officials estimate the damage at around $70,000. The home was destroyed and the family didn't have insurance. A neighboring home was evacuated but not damaged.
"We have nothing. No school clothes for our kids, no work clothes for me. My daughter has nothing, we have nothing," said Maple.
The American Red Cross plans to help the family.
Interstate 70 east near Interstate 465 was reopened Tuesday evening after a crash blocked all lanes around 6:30 p.m.
If you're looking for something to do over the next seven days you may want to check out Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
On Tuesday, Indianapolis Police Chief Rick Hite will promote 23 officers. Three sergeants will be elevated to the rank of lieutenant. Twenty patrol officers will be promoted to the rank of sergeant.