INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The city of Indianapolis is offering free tax preparation services to kickoff the tax season.
The annual program helps thousands of low-income Marion County residents. Volunteer tax preparers will complete basic, current year tax returns free of charge.
Indy's Campaign for Financial Fitness kicked off the city's free tax preparation service Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Broad Ripple Park, 1550 Broad Ripple Ave. The organization says it prepared 5,500 returns in 2012, saving residents $650,000 in tax preparation fees. Volunteer tax preparers help residents tax advantage of common tax credits.
To qualify, you must be a Marion County resident and earn less than $57,000 in 2012. The free tax service runs through April 15.
Free Tax Preparation Locations
(Call 211 for times and appointments):
- Hawthorne Community Center
- John H. Boner Community Center
- Oasis Christian Development Corp.
- Shepherd Community Center
- Southeast Community Services
- Christamore House
- Faye Biccard Glick Neighborhood Center
- Eagledale-Lafayette Square Area Weed & Seed
- Indianapolis City-County Building
- Heritage Place
- Goodwin Center
- Christian Park
- Windsor Parks
- Broad Ripple Park
- Bethel Park
- King-Kennedy Park
- Riverside Park
- Washington Park
What you need to bring:
- Driver's License or Photo I.D.
- Social security card or individual tax identification number for all members in your family
- All W-2 forms
- If filing jointly, your spouse must be present
- Copy of prior year tax return (if applicable)
- Account numbers for electronic deposit of refund
- Previous tax returns (if available)
Officials with the Indianapolis Colts say tickets are still available for the Colts vs. Texans game Sunday.
Fire crews in Anderson were on the scene of a building fire Thursday afternoon.
An Anderson apartment complex will be demolished after a fire broke out at the building Thursday.