INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - For six weeks, the sixth floor of IU Health Methodist Hospital has been home to Brad Humphrey.
But Thursday was moving day.
"I'm excited, "the 17-year-old said as he waited patiently to leave the room he's called home for weeks.
Bittersweet is how many who've cared for the teen in that time described their emotions.
His nurse, Natalie Prater, was at the concert at the State Fair the night Humphrey was severely injured . Seven died as a result of the stage collapse the night of Aug. 3.
"I'm overwhelmed he's going to be OK," she said. "He is so driven. I'd be depressed and crying every day, but he hasn't shed one tear."
By contrast, his mom, Sue Humphrey, has. She sat rows above in the grandstand that day and watched as the stage rigging toppled onto her son and dozens of others in front of the stage for the Sugarland show.
"The toughest part was at the beginning, when I saw the stage collapse and I couldn't get to him," she said. "We've had talks, and it happened. There is nothing I can do but move forward. We can't change anything from the past."
Sue Humphrey has slept on sofa in her son's room since the day of the accident.
But she hasn't been alone.
"We've shared tears and laughter, "said Sharon Gould. "There would be days I'd tell her to stop crying so I could stop … . For the first time in my life I've been able to put myself in a position to know how fast life changes."
Brad Humphrey will stay at an assisted living facility until his home has been remodeled to meet his physical needs
He said he doesn't regret anything about that day he went to see his beloved Sugarland.
"You can't give up," he said. "You gotta stay positive."
Everyone on the sixth floor at Methodist said Brad Humphrey has done just that.
But the fight is far from over.
Humphrey is just one of dozens of victims now seeking money from the state in compensation for injuries suffered. The stack of paperwork is growing by the day.
So far, 45 tort claims have been filed, in reference to 56 victims. Those claims notify the state that those planning to sue are asking for more than $20 million total.
But the state liability cap is $5 million, and the most the state can give out per person is $700,000. So, if the families of the victims killed get that amount, there would only be $100,000 left to split between the 50 or so remaining injured victims.
The state has offered quick out-of-court settlements to victims , and those who would like to apply for that are asked to do so by Nov. 1. Applications can be completed online or by phone, 1-800-760-4616.
A winter weather advisory was issued for Wayne, Union, Switzerland, Ripley, Ohio, Franklin, Fayette and Dearborn counties on Saturday night.
IMPD officials say a 3-year-old boy has died after he was shot in the head Saturday evening.
With seventeen shopping days remaining, customers are steadily visiting gift stores along Mass Ave. in downtown Indianapolis.