INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Around 25,000 runners will take part in two local races this weekend and the bombings in Boston will be top of mind for organizers.
Security plans for Saturday's Carmel Marathon and the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure are being re-examined.
The Carmel Police Department says it will add additional manpower and security procedures to Saturday's Carmel Marathon and Half-marathon event.
Police say the increase in security is due to Monday's bombing at the Boston Marathon. A spokesperson for the Carmel Police Department says 100 police officers from five different agencies will work the race along with 100 volunteers from the National Guard and Carmel Fire Department.
The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is also a "go" for Saturday. More than 20,000 people have registered to take part in the fundraiser. The organization raises money for breast cancer research.
"We came up with our crisis plan last week and at this point we don't see any changes that will come up. We know the police will be looking at everything coming up. They are experts. We will be guided by them," said Dana Curish, executive director for Komen Indy. "We will have security all around the course. We have volunteers, hundreds of volunteers that day, all around the race course so everybody will be alert."
Watch 24-Hour News 8 at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. for more information on the events security measures.
Authorities say a 78-year-old man is recovering after passers-by came to his aid when he was in the snow along a Bloomington road without a coat or shoes.
State highway officials say an eight-mile section of Interstate 65 near Lafayette will be expanded to three lanes in each direction.
Crews from a northeastern Indiana fire department had to rush to put out a blaze at the home of their assistant chief.