INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The high temperatures and high humidity proved too much for one Indianapolis mom.
Keyonna Clark says she has no air conditioning in her home. She passed out from the heat Tuesday afternoon.
"I had a short pain in my chest, like something was punching me. Then I got up, my eyes rolled in the back of my head. Then last thing I remember is I fell straight on the ground," said Clark.
After regaining consciousness, Clark called 911. Paramedics arrived and took her to Wishard Memorial Hospital.
Clark's four children, who range in age from 2 to 9, were left home alone. Police were called to check on them.
"Temperatures (were) well over 100 degrees, trash (was) strewn everywhere, so at that point, we were concerned about the children inside the home," said IMPD Officer Chris Wilburn.
The Department of Child Services stepped in and removed the four children. They were reunited with their mom the next day.
Clark took a 24-Hour News 8 news crew inside her home and showed them the conditions. The house had been cleaned up and two portable fans were running. The fans did little to cool down the house.
Clark says without air conditioning, she looks for other ways for her kids to stay cool.
"They be going outside to play, or my neighbor has a water hose — they get wet in that — to cool them down," said Clark.
The 26-year-old says a family member agreed to get her an air conditioning unit. She hopes to have it installed by the end of the week.
In the meantime, police say families without air conditioning should seek other ways to stay cool.
"There are community centers available to them — Hawthorne, MLK to name a few. Those are there for them. If they want to cool down or go to a public library, anything like that. So these types of instances don't happen," said Officer Wilburn.
The Noblesville Police Department says a 16-year-old girl who was shot late Sunday night died from her injuries.
Two men were arrested overnight after police say they stole a car and led officers on a chase.
Fire officials say a civilian medic was injured early Monday morning in a house fire.