WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WISH) - Students and staff at Purdue University are concerned following a confirmed care of Typhoid fever.
On Tuesday 24-Hour News 8 told you about a food service worker who contracted the potentially fatal infection.
"I think people are scared to go to that building. Probably more dramatic than it really is," said Purdue student Ashley Ayers
"I have seen a lot being tweeted about it," commented Purdue junior Becca Duggar.
Tuesday, it was confirmed a student food service worker, working at the Marriott Dining Hall, tested positive for Typhoid fever.
The illness can put people at risk if they eat food or drink beverages that have been handled by someone with the illness.
"We know and observed he was using appropriate handling techniques for safety techniques. He was using gloves, washing his hands, and had very little contact with food," said Purdue Spokesperson Jean Norberg.
Even with the story of the confirmed case of the deadly infection, students and staff don't seem very concerned.
"We have been joking about it. I don't think any of us are really concerned that we are going to get it ," said Amanda Goodwin, Purdue employee.
Only people who ate at the John Boiler Purdue Boiler Room, Lavazza Coffee Shop or the Boiler Bistro-On Jan. 23 through 25 need to be concerned.
Doctors say you can only get Typhoid fever from contaminated food.
The symptoms include high fever, stomach pains, headache and diarrhea. The university says it is offering free care to anyone who has symptoms.
A large fire destroyed a southern Indiana restaurant, with flames soaring high through the roof as it burned overnight.
You’re burning up the gym, counting calories and making a valiant effort to eat clean, but your weight on the scale just doesn’t seem to change. How body fat plays a role in overall health and how to get it tested.
Salt trucks and snow plows were back out on the roads early Tuesday morning after snow moved through overnight.