INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Debris found near the large warehouse fire on Van Buren Street tested positive for asbestos on Wednesday, the Marion County Public Health Department says.
The department went around nearby neighborhoods to collect debris. The department says the debris found was limited to a number of homes in the 1300 block of East Calhoun Street. That location is just west of the fire site.
- PHOTOS | Crews battle four-alarm fire
The department cleaned the debris in the neighborhood Wednesday to prevent any asbestos exposure.
"Part of our concern is folks might come into contact with it or if you run a mower or a weed eater you could break it up into smaller pieces," said Jeff Larmore with the Marion County Health Department. "Not to say that one time exposure is going to cause concerns, but it is a material we are concerned about so we thought it was in the best interest of public health to get out here and get this material picked up."
- VIDEO | View video from the fire scene
If neighbors see any material on their property, they are urged to call the health department. A representative will collect it.
If you choose to pick up the material yourself, the health department says to wet the material before attempting to pick it up. You should also wear gloves, place the material in a sealable bag, wash your hands immediately after sealing the bag, and contact the health department to arrange for pick up.
The Capital Improvement Board voted Monday to spend close to $200,000 on a master plan for tourism in the Circle City.
The girlfriend of one of the north side home invasion suspects was arrested Monday.
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department was investigating three cases where victims say they were robbed at gunpoint while they warmed up their vehicles.