MARTINSVILLE, Ind. (WISH) - A chemical spill at a campground sends four people to thehospital. It happened at The Bradfood Woods Campground on StateRoad 67 in Martinsville.
Two chemicals mixed together in a pool house - creating adangerous vapor that affected three camp counselors and onecamper. It only took a tiny amount of the chemicals toproduce an overwhelming vapor. Firefighters and paramedics from 8area agencies responded to the spill.
Camp counselors alerted management to the problem sometimearound 3:30 Thursday afternoon. The counselors say theyreported the incident immediately. Firefighters say a smallamount of chlorine and muriatic acid mixed together in the poolhouse. The mixture created the choking vapor.
The camp director told us the pool house - located 40 feet fromthe pool - is always locked.
When the vapor escaped, 18 campers with physical disabiliteswere in the pool along with 13 adults. Most patients weredecontaminated and triaged by medical personnel. They werehosed down and cleaned and transferred over to triage where ourEMT's took all their vital signs.
Paramedics did take one camper to Riley Children's Hospital forbreathing treatments. Three adults, all camp counselors,received similar treatments in Martinsville. All four are nowin stable condition.
Muriatic acid, also known as Hydrochloric acid, is used toadjust the acidity of pool water and used in plumbing applications.It is the same chemical blamed for killing two people in Muncie, Ind.just weeks ago.
A winter storm warning is in effect for most of Central Indiana.
It's very rare that a single person can reach across national, racial, and spiritual borders to bring such hope and healing.
Dispatchers with Indiana State Police say a vehicle left the roadway Thursday night off of Interstate 69.