PLAINFIELD, Ind. (WISH) - A Plainfield family has nothing but gratitude for neighbors and emergency personnel after a 20-year-old was rescued from farm machinery that was tearing him apart.
24-Hour News 8 news partner the Hendricks County Flyer reports Matthew Mongan Sercer, 20, was working alone on a farm just outside city limits on Dec. 1 when his clothing got caught in an auger and he was dragged into the machine.
A neighbor said he saw Sercer's hat fly up and knew something was wrong. He and a hunter who was in the area ran to help. They then saw to it that 911 was called, along with Sercer's mother.
Lorraine Mongan said Sercer was stuck in the auger up to his hips. His left leg was pulled apart at the knee, and the back of his right foot was cut off. He also had cuts up his back to below his kneck. Mongan credits the extraordinary efforts of emergency medical personnel with saving her son.
She said he has undergone surgery to reattach his leg and heel, and he now faces a long road of healing and extensive rehab.
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department say a child was shot in the arm Friday.
When temperatures plummet this low, most people start worrying about frostbite or falling on ice. But there's also the hidden threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Police in Shelbyville are investigating nearly a dozen recent business burglaries.