ANDREWS, Ind. (WANE) - Fire crews in rural Huntington County responded to an explosion inside a house near Andrews early Tuesday morning. The owner of the home told WANE-TV he was making fireworks in his basement when something went wrong.
The owner said he was grinding aluminum powder for fireworks in his basement. Around 4:00 a.m. Tuesday, he said he felt his house violently shake. He said it wasn't a loud explosion, but it packed a large push. He thinks static electricity must have caused the aluminum powder to explode.
The owner and his wife were both home at the time of the explosion and were not hurt. A small fire is said to have started in the basement, but the owner said he put it out.
The home suffered major damage. The owner said there is damage in every room including the walls, floors, and roof. He said the explosion even cracked the foundation.
The house is reportedly a total loss. The owner said fortunately he has insurance and a place to stay.
The Andrews Volunteer Fire Department and Huntington County Sheriff's Department responded to the explosion.
Andrews Volunteer Fire Chief Tom Wuensch thinks the owner made the fireworks for a large home display for the 4th of July.
"He builds pretty big fireworks the way it looks," Wuensch said. "I've seen houses look like that but I've never experienced one like this from a firework."
The incident remains under investigation. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has been contacted to see if anything illegal was going on in the house.
Hoosiers saw unbearably cold temperatures Thursday morning.
Mintonye Elementary School may be ready to open in August, but Southwestern Middle School won't be ready. That's the preliminary assessment Superintendent Scott Hanback told the Tippecanoe School Corporation school board Wednesday evening.
State police and the Indiana Department of Transportation say public safety is being endangered by metal scrappers.