INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - It is less than a month away from this year's Indy 500, and changes are coming to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to give disabled race fans better access.
As part of a settlement with the Justice Department announced earlier this year, IMS is adding handicapped parking spaces and a path to the turn two family mounds.
Construction crews were working on it Tuesday.
"We're really trying to open up what is our family area – one of our most popular areas for practice, race day, and Carb Day, so that it really has access to everybody and it truly is a family mound," said IMS spokesperson Doug Boles.
They've also added disabled seating inside the track between turns one and two.
Boles said other, smaller changes were made even before the settlement was reached in January, including sign placement and mirror height adjustments.
Over the next two and a half years, fans will also see handicapped-accessible seating in the grandstands. Boles said track officials are trying to figure out where to move current ticketholders to make room for the changes.
Track officials and federal officials agreed making changes to a 104-year old facility, which is also among the largest sporting venues in the world, has presented unique challenges. But Boles said they're making progress.
"We're excited about these changes," he said. "This truly is one of the places where we introduce the speedway to brand new fans and kids who have their first experience here and it makes a lot more sense if they can do it with their entire family and not have to keep somebody with a wheelchair or a mobility problem from getting in and participating."
Federal investigators are looking into multiple cases where counterfeiters have floated fake $100 bills. According to police reports, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department arrested three people for printing off the fake bills.
Update: According to the Lafayette Police Department, Lafayette area schools have been checked and the threat has been deemed not credible and lockdown lifted.
A disbarred attorney and former South Bend city council member convicted of forging the names of other lawyers on court documents won't be spending any time in prison unless he gets in further trouble.