Staff Reports - INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) -- According to the Domestic Violence Network in Indianapolis, you are likely to know someone who has been victim of domestic violence.
Statistics show that one in three women and one in seven men will experience domestic violence at some point.
Mary-Margaret Sweeney stopped by our studios Wednesday to share more details.Domestic violence can be:
Domestic violence occurs when one partner in an intimate relationship uses power to gain control over the other partner. It can be:
- Physical, sexual, emotional, financial and/or spiritual
- Using coercion and threats
- Using children
- Using economic or emotional abuse
- Minimizing, blaming and/or denying their concerns of their partner
- Seem afraid or anxious to please partner.
- Go along with everything their partner says and does.
- Check in often with their partner to report where they are and what they are doing.
- Receive frequent, harassing phone calls from their partner.
- Talk about their partner's temper, jealousy, or possessiveness.
- Unexplained injuries
- Dress in clothing to hide scars or bruises (long sleeves in summer or sunglasses indoors)
- Missing work or other important events without explanation
- Download the WISH-TV app for your iPhone/iPad in the App Store
- Download the WISH-TV app in the Google Play store
- Like WISH-TV on Facebook