INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Hoosiers are adding other sources of protein to the family diet.
• Vegetarian Times Study Shows 7.3 Million Americans Are Vegetarians.
• An additional 22.8 Million Follow a Vegetarian-Inclined Diet.
• For health reasons, people are reduce their meat intake, creating a rapidly growing need for all things vegetarian.
Pacific-Style Quinoa and Beans
½ fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and sliced or and 8 oz. organic pineapple slices
1 tbs. EVOO
2 carrots, thinly biased-sliced
4 cloves of minced fresh garlic
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 cups cooked quinoa
15 oz. coked garbanzo beans
1 cup frozen peas
3 tbs. tamari (wheat free soy)
1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
• Quarter pineapple slices. In a skillet, heat 2 tsp. of the oil over medium heat. Add pineapple; cook for 1 minute per side. Remove and set aside.
• Pour in remaining 1 tsp. of oil. Add carrots, cook; stir frequently for 2 minutes. Keep them crunchy!
• Add garlic and ginger and cook 30 seconds.
• Stir in quinoa, beans and peas then add the tamari. At this point do not cook more; shut off the heat. Keep warm and add the cilantro and pineapple.
• When ready to serve, squeeze lime juice all over.
9 P.M. UPDATE: The winter storm warnings have been canceled and most snow is coming to an end. The colder temperatures were starting to move into central Indiana.
Carmel has a voice in the climate change discussion.
It's been a busy 24 hours for road crews in Indiana. And for many south of Indianapolis, the work isn't close to being over.