INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Serve this soup in big bowls with freshly grated Parmesan on top!
“Zuppa toscana” is a broad term meaning “Tuscan soup.”
Alexis’ Zuppa Toscana
2 lbs. mild Italian sausage
1 lb. bacon, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 tbsp fresh garlic
grated kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder or so
1-2 quarts chicken broth
6 – 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 bunch fresh kale
1. Cook sausage, bacon and onion in a skillet on medium high until sausage is browned and bacon is slightly crispy. Add garlic and sauté. Season with more garlic powder, salt and pepper.
2. Add chicken broth and potatoes to a crockpot, along with the cooked sausage/onion mixture. Cook on low for about 6 hours. When 1-2 hours are left, add the kale and heavy cream. Season again if needed.
3. Serve in big bowls with freshly grated Parmesan on top!
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — This muffin tastes like a blueberry pancake, and it’s loaded with energy to help you start your day.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1/2 cup superfine almond flour
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, plus more
- Preheat oven to 415º. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, Greek yogurt, almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
- Sprinkle oats, almond flour, protein powder, baking soda, and baking powder on top of wet mixture. Fold in 1/2 cup blueberries.
- Evenly distribute batter among a prepared 12-count muffin tin. Add 2-3 more blueberries to the top of each muffin. Bake at 415º for 5 minutes, then lower the heat to 350º and bake muffins another 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool. Enjoy!
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Here’s a healthier approach to snacks for the upcoming big game: Sweet Potato Nachos.
- 3 sweet potatoes, sliced into coins
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese or queso fresco
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss sweet potato slices with olive oil or coat with cooking spray. Lay sweet potato slices in a single layer on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
- Bake until sweet potatoes get slightly crispy, about 25 minutes.
- Remove and toss sweet potatoes together and arrange on a serving platter. Top with shredded rotisserie chicken, sliced green onions, sliced cherry tomatoes, dollops of guacamole and sprinkle with feta cheese. Serve!
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Spread frosting on brownies, cut into squares, and enjoy!
The recipe was made for the cooking segment on Thursday’s “All Indiana.”
Keto Fudgy Brownies with Avocado Chocolate Frosting
2/3 cup refined coconut oil
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup blanched, superfine almond flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup KETO:SWEET Granulated Sweetener
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup stevia-sweetened chocolate chips
1 creamy ripe avocado
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoon refined coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/16 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup KETO:SWEET Confectioners Sweetener
1. Preheat oven to 325 º. Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small glass bowl, melt the coconut oil with the unsweetened chocolate, by microwaving it for about 1 minute. Then gently stir until the chocolate is fully incorporated into the coconut oil. Set aside to let cool.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and sweetener.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs for 1 minute. Add vanilla and whisk. Gently stream in chocolate-coconut oil mixture while continuing to whisk. Sprinkle dry ingredients on top, and fold everything together just until dry ingredients are moistened, trying not to over mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into pan, and smooth out top using a rubber spatula. Bake for 45-50 minutes until brownies are set in the middle. Remove and let cool.
6. To make frosting, add everything but the sweetener to a small food processor. Blend until creamy. Add in the sweetener and blend until smooth. Mixture should have a smooth, creamy texture and not be overly thick.
7. Spread frosting on brownies, cut into squares, and enjoy!
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — This treat is made with tasty but keto-friendly ingredients. It tastes like a chilled Andes Mint and is easy to make!
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 ripe avocado
- 1 small handful spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons KETO:SWEET granulated sweetener, divided
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, optional
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- About 1 cup of ice
- In a blender, add coconut milk, avocado, spinach, 1 1/2 tablespoons of KETO:SWEET, peppermint extract and protein powder, if using. Process on high until smooth. Add about 1/2 cup or more of ice, and blend again until really thick.
- Pour a little more than half of the mixture into a glass or jar. Then, add the cocoa powder, 1/2 tablespoon of sweetener and a little more ice to the rest of the smoothie in the blender. Blend again until smooth. Pour the chocolate layer on top of the mint layer.
- Drink with a straw and enjoy!
- Use regular mint extract in place of peppermint extract. Or, a drop of peppermint essential oil also works.
- For an extra-rich, higher fat smoothie, use canned coconut milk.
- Makes: about 12- 16 ounces Serving size: 1 smoothie
- Nutrient Analysis per serving: Calories: 160; Total Fat: 15 grams; Saturated Fat: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 5 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 12 grams; Dietary Fiber: 8 grams; Total Sugars: 0 grams; Protein: 3 gram
- Nutrient Analysis with protein powder: Calories: 290; Total Fat: 18 grams; Saturated Fat: 9 grams; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 125 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 19 grams; Dietary Fiber: 10 grams; Total Sugars: 0 grams; Protein: 32 grams
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Add a Keto frosting, and enjoy!
Keto Chocolate Cupcakes
1-1/2 cups blanched, superfine almond flour
3/4 cup KETO:SWEET Granular Sweetener (such as erythritol)
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon refined coconut oil, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Line 12-count cupcake tin with silicone, foil, or paper cupcake liners. If using foil or paper liners, spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl whisk together dry ingredients: almond flour, sweetener, cocoa powder, xantham gum, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract and salt until well-blended.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients, and, using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir together until combined, about 30 strokes. Fold in melted coconut oil.
5. Divide batter evenly among the 12 cupcake cups, and bake 20 – 24 minutes. When they are finished, cupcakes will have a crackly appearance on top, and they will yield to gentle pressure when touched. Remove and let cool completely.
6. Add a Keto frosting, and enjoy!
- Xantham gum helps the cupcakes stay moist and chewy.
- Keto Chocolate Cupcakes store well in an air-tight container for two days.
Nutrient Analysis: (note: analysis is for cupcakes only)
Total Fat: 11 g.
Saturated Fat: 3 g.
Cholesterol: 50 mg.
Sodium: 160 mg.
Total Carbohydrate: 6 g.
Dietary Fiber: 2 g.
Net Carbs: 4 g.
Total Sugars: 1 g.
Protein: 5 g.
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — If you think you don’t like broccoli, you have to try it this way! This recipe of Annessa’s has made a “broccoli believer” out of many.
- 16 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse broccoli if needed and dry really well with a paper towel. Toss broccoli on baking sheet with olive oil, lemon zest, salt and garlic. Arrange broccoli in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast for about 20 minutes; then remove and immediately sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Here’s an easy six-ingredient dinner that’s filled with flavor!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup salsa, plus more
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2–1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 9 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a medium bowl, add egg, salsa, chili powder and salt, whisking with a fork to combine. Stir in oats. Fold in ground beef gently until all ingredients are evenly incorporated into the beef.
- Coat a muffin tin with nonstick spray. Divide ground beef mixture among nine of the muffin tins, pressing the beef down slightly in the center.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and add a teaspoon of salsa to the center of each meatloaf, and top each with at tablespoon of cheddar cheese. Put meatloaves back into the oven for another 5 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Remove from oven and let cool 2-3 minutes, then remove mini meatloaves from muffin tin and serve!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes: 9 mini meatloaves
Serving size: 1 meatloaf
Calories 166, Total Fat 10.6 g, Saturated Fat 4.7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g,
Monounsaturated Fat 0.9 g, Cholesterol 60.8 mg, Sodium 315.7 mg,
Potassium 19.5 mg, Total Carbohydrate, 5.0 g, Dietary Fiber 1.4 g,
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Here’s an easy, healthy, delicious weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
Fajita stuffed peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs grass-fed ribeye steak, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked farro
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º. Spray bell peppers with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Place them in a baking dish and cook while you prepare the rest of the ingredients (about 15 minutes).
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and sauté until the the onion is mostly golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add steak and salt, sautéing just until steak is cooked.
- Stir in farro and Worcestershire, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan as you stir.
- Remove peppers from oven and stuff with steak mixture, piling it up onto each bell pepper half. Top each with a slice of provolone cheese. Return to the oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve hot with Homemade Ranch on the side.
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove peeled garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients. Serve on the side with Fajita-Stuffed Bell Peppers. Store extra in the refrigerator and use within 1 week.
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Annessa’s focusing on easy, healthy recipes with a twist during this first week of 2021. Here’s how to make a low carb dish inspired by the flavors of a much-loved fried treat: an egg roll.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound grass-fed Ground beef
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, chopped finely
- 14 ounces coleslaw mix
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 3 cloves peeled garlic, grated
- 1/2-1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (whites and greens)
Creamy Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce or sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil, chopped mushrooms and ground beef. Sauté until beef is browned.
- Add coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, and soy sauce or tamari. Sauté until cabbage and carrots are wilted, but not overdone. Stir in garlic, ginger and green onions. Taste mixture and adjust seasonings (for example, add more grated ginger if you’d like).
- Make creamy chili sauce by stirring together all ingredients. Serve Egg Roll in a Bowl with Creamy Chili Sauce on the side or drizzled over.
- Adjust spice level to your liking; add more chili sauce for a stronger kick.
- Cooking only for one or two? Cut the ingredients in half and make the meal even quicker.
- Use any protein you have on hand: Ground chicken or ground pork also work well.