INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — According to the Trevor Project, nearly three out of four LGBTQ+ teens are diagnosed with anxiety and depression.
IU Health clinical psychologist Dr. Danielle Henderson came on Daybreak to discuss mental health in the LGBTQ+ community.
Henderson discussed the impact celebrities publicly identifying as members of the LGBTQ+ community can have, the importance of validating feelings and steps that can be taken to prevent LGTBQ+ youth from committing suicide.
Click on the video to watch the full interview.
Mental health resources
- NAMI Helpline: 1-800-950-NAMI (6264)
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Be Well Indiana Crisis Helpline: 211
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs mental health webpage
The Trevor Project also provides mental health services.