INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — DuJuan McCoy, owner, president, and CEO of Circle City Broadcasting, announced a day-long, fundraising event, in conjunction with the Indiana Restaurant & Lodging Association (INRLA), to benefit furloughed hospitality, restaurant, & lodging workers. The INRLA represents more than 1,600 hotel and restaurant properties as well as industry-related service companies across Indiana.
In response to mandatory restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, hospitality workers across Indiana have suddenly found themselves without an income. On Thursday, April 9, 2020, WISH-TV will host “Hoosiers Helping Hoosiers” to raise funds to assist hospitality workers unable to work at this time. Workers in restaurants and lodging make up one of the largest sectors of Hoosier employees – 10% of all workers in Indiana work in hospitality with an additional 4% working in lodging. More than 88,000 people work in these fields in Marion County alone.
“WISH-TV is committed to helping the community through this difficult time,” said McCoy. “The thousands of workers who suddenly find themselves out of work, are our friends and neighbors. We can all look for ways to help those in need and ease the burdens that others are experiencing. We’re confident that generous, Hoosier hearts will help step up to this challenge and contribute what they can.”
“Hoosiers Helping Hoosiers” launches Thursday in News 8’s Daybreak at 4:00 A.M. and continues throughout the day, concluding in News 8 at 11:00 P.M. Viewers will be able to find donation information at WISHTV.com, with several popular platforms available for contributions including Text to Donate and other digital donation methods. Also on WISHTV.com, viewers will find information on how to bid on several items donated by the Indianapolis Colts, Indiana Pacers and Indy Eleven. All contributions made during Hoosiers Helping Hoosiers are tax-deductible.
There are several ways you can donate.
- Text INRLA to 74121
- Online here
- By bidding on auction items here or texting RELIEF to 79230
- The auction will end Friday at 11:30 p.m.
These are the items up for auction:
- Indiana Pacers jersey signed by Victor Oladipo, with a certificate of authenticity
- Indianapolis Colts jersey signed by T.Y. Hilton
- Indiana Fever basketball signed by Natalie Achonwa
- Indianapolis Indians jersey signed by Razor Shines
- Indy Eleven jersey signed by Paddy Barrett and an unsigned Indy Eleven souvenir t-shirt
- VIP dinner for 6 at Ruth’s Chris
- Ruth’s Chris Journey “Dinner Night”
- Private room paired with wine for each course
- $2,500 value