When it comes to potty training your puppy, there are a few key tips you want to keep in mind, and Nathan Lowe, the Indy Dog Whisperer, joined us to share those today.
1. Monitor Water Intake (0-5 months)
– Take pup out IMMEDIATELY after they eat or drink indoors
– Water can be unmonitored outdoors, but should be supervised indoors
2. Recognize Signs of “Urgency”
– Sniffing in circles (nose to the ground)
– Whining and pacing
3. Take Your Puppy Out Properly
– Take out on leash (try not to carry them)
– No interaction with pup until they urinate/defecate – than play with them IMMEDIATELY!
– Sit calmly and don’t verbally “encourage” them to go (no distractions)
4. Other Considerations
– Very young puppies urinate FREQUENTLY
– NEVER let your pup wander out of sight (playpen or tether)
– Puppies soon recognize the scent of their urine and feces as their “brand” and will return repeatedly to strengthen their scent
For more information visit, TheIndyDogWhisperer.com.