When you’re dealing with uncharted territory, it’s normal to feel completely overwhelmed and unsure of how to pick yourself up. Andrea Marcellus, author and creator of the AND/life app, says that to combat feelings of overwhelm, one should do any of the following tips for a quick mental vacation:
1. Check off something on your to-do list for a dopamine hit.
2. Nourish your body with food. Make beautiful, nutritious meals that transform a mundane meal into an act of self-care. And when you indulge, skip the guilt and shame!
3. Make time for exercise, even if you only have 15 minutes while you make dinner. Be proud of what you accomplished, no matter how minor it may seem.
4. Read at least the first page of any book on your shelf. Reading forces your brain to create mental pictures instead of worry.
5. Compliment a stranger on social media. Positive connections, even virtual ones, set off happy hormones in your brain.
For more from Marcellus, visit her website.