He’s the richest Indiana thoroughbred horse EVER, and even though he’s retired, Unreachable Star stopped by our Indy Style studios this morning! Tracy found out what makes a thoroughbred so special and what all goes into training such an incredible horse!
First though, here are a few fun facts about Unreachable Star!
• Unreachable Star retired in the fall of 2014 as the richest Indiana bred horse in history with more than $784,000 in purse earnings
• Won 17 races during his career, seven of which were stakes races in the state of Indiana
• Was Indiana’s 2009 Horse of the Year and earned year end honors in the state four different years
• In 64 career starts, raced at eight different tracks, was ridden by 23 different jockeys, and won races for seven different riders over eight years.
• Is owned by Dave and Loren Osbourne’s Loosen Up Stable in Kentucky and is enjoying retirement in a field at their farm
• Now 11, Unreachable Star will be introduced after Race 1 on Indiana Derby Night (Saturday, July 18) and then will be available for fans to feed him peppermints and watermelon (his favorite treat) outside the paddock area from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Be sure and catch the Indiana Derby on WISH TV Saturday, July 18!
SEGMENT IS SPONSORED BY HOOSIER PARK AND INDIANA GRAND