It’s blueberry season, and Erika Schlick, health coach, blogger and author of the cookbook Wandering Palate teams the berries up with lemon to make a sweat, delicious bread.
Erika has several healthy recipes to make while you have some extra time at home and are looking for simple and healthy meals to prepare. Here’s more from her:
Fresh blueberries and tart lemon combine in this moist loaf making it a perfect dessert or breakfast. The coconut glaze is unique because it uses maple syrup for sweetness rather than powdered sugar and the use of coconut butter gives the glaze its creaminess, as well as its coconut taste.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
butter or coconut oil, for greasing
2 cups almond flour
¼ cup cassava flour, such as Otto’s cassava flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup grass fed butter, ghee or coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
1 cup fresh blueberries
Coconut Lemon Glaze Ingredients:
1. For the blueberry lemon loaf, preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with butter or coconut oil.
2. Whisk the almond flour with the cassava flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a medium bowl.
3. Mix the eggs with the butter, honey, lemon juice and lemon extract (if using) in a stand mixer or large bowl. While the mixer is moving, slowly add the almond mixture until a smooth batter is formed.
4. Once combined, fold in the blueberries. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake for 20 minutes and then check to make sure the loaf is not browning too much. If it is, cover with foil. Bake for another 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing. Once removed, allow to cool completely.
6. For the coconut lemon glaze, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of the water and the lemon juice in a food processor or blender, and pulse until smooth. Add more water if you want a thinner consistency.
7. Top the loaf with the coconut lemon glaze and allow to harden before slicing.
Wandering Palate has a collection of 28 days of travel inspired healthy Paleo meals that help keep her in remission from Lyme disease and multiple autoimmune conditions. The book is a collection of recipes that helped her heal and now she is joining us from her home in Los Angeles to show us how we should be cooking to stay safe and healthy at home.
Wandering Palate is currently shipping and available on her website and Amazon: