Erika Schlick, health coach, blogger and author of the cookbook Wandering Palate has several healthy recipes to make while you have some extra time at home and are looking for simple and healthy meals to prepare.
Schlick joined us today to demonstrate how to cook spiced banana bread. Here’s more from her:
Classic banana bread is the perfect way to save overripe bananas. Switch things up with this spiced banana nut bread. It is Grain-Free by using cassava flour and it gets a spicy twist from warming cinnamon and nutmeg.
Cinnamon has a slightly spicy and sweet taste that lends itself to desserts perfectly, while nutmeg is even more aromatic with a nutty and spicy flavor. When baked in a banana-rich batter, the spices natural oils release and permeate both the taste and smell of the bread. The spices turn this banana bread into a cool weather sweet treat when a warming pick-me-up is required alongside a favorite steaming hot beverage.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
3 large eggs
½ cup butter or coconut oil, softened, plus more to grease the pan
¼ cup maple sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup Otto’s Naturals cassava flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup walnuts or hazelnuts, chopped
½ cup chocolate chips, (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)
and grease a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13-cm) loaf pan.
2. Peel and mash the bananas in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl or stand mixer, beat the eggs with the butter or coconut oil, maple sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the mashed bananas and beat until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the cassava flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt
5. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix until combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips (if using).
6. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top; bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
7. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing and serving.
Wandering Palate is currently shipping and available on her website and Amazon: