Table manners– they’re not just for kids!
On today’s Indy Style, Nathan Lowe, The Indy Dog Whisperer, introduces us to a Doberman pincher named Hasmeena, who had some trouble respecting her human mom while she was eating. Nathan walks us through how he helped Hasmeena and chats about rules related to food and dogs. Here’s more:
- Create a “Zone of Respect” Around Food
(food is survival to dogs, and control of it
– around eating & prepping spaces
– around yourself when you’re eating
– even when preparing THEIR food!
- Use Treats Effectively
– don’t cue excitement (causes anxiety/
– toss, don’t hand feed ( rationale)
– Give treats for relaxation/“parlor tricks”
(not for submissive behaviors a ranking
dog would expect)
- Be Alert for Food Guarding