Today is National Banana Bread Day, and Tim Griffin, Carmel Firefighter, joined us with recipes for both Banana Bread and a Banana Cake recipe from his wife’s grandmother.
Cinnamon Crumb Banana Bread
- 3 medium or large bananas
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, cold
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease two 8×4 pans.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and beat until mixed.
- To the wet ingredients, sift in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir until just combined. Add in sour cream and stir.
- Pour in mashed bananas, and mix until combined.
- Combine cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, and mix until the topping looks like coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle coating evenly over the batter in both pans.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Move to a wire cooling rack.
Slice and enjoy!
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 and 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup nuts, if desired
- Beat egg whites until frosty.
- Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar until very stiff and glossy.
- Sift remaining sugar, flour, powder, salt, soda into another bowl.
- Add oil, mashed banana, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour into greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.