Your dog may not be able to talk your language, but your body language speaks a thousand words to them. Nathan Lowe, the Indy Dog Whisperer, joined us today to fill you in on how to speak to dog’s through your body language. He was here with Clifford a shelter dog available for adoption from Greenfield Hancock Animal Management.
1. Enforcing Your Personal Space
- Step into a jumping dog
- Stand and walk toward a dog who is shoving into you while you are seated
- Nudge a dog away if they are leaning against you
2. Claiming Objects and Food
- If object/food is on the floor, step over it and back the dog away
- If object/food is on a surface, step in front of the surface and back the dog away
3. Utilizing the Dramatic Stare
- Finish claiming rituals with a “held” stare
- Staring indicates direct address and authority in canine terms
For more information visit, TheIndyDogWhisperer.com.