Jolene Ketzenberger of Eat Drink Indy joined us today to share her recipe for the perfect addition to your summer barbecue, farro grain salad.
She says this is a versatile salad as it goes in the direction of a Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumber and feta, but can also have pesto added or other dressings.
Summer Farro Salad (Serves 4)
- 1 cup uncooked farro (such as Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup jarred sundried tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
1. Rinse and drain farro.
2. Then cook in the chicken broth according to package instructions.
3. Transfer to a large mixing or serving bowl.
4. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the bowl except for the feta, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
5. Drizzle with oil and vinegar to taste. Sprinkle with feta, lightly toss again, then season with salt and pepper. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Cook’s note: Add cooked shrimp or chicken, if desired.