On a cold wintery day, these are the perfect recipes to warm you up! Here’s The Signature Table’s Jolene Ketzenberger with today’s yummy dishes, that are perfect to add to or use up leftovers!
Potato Leek Soup (Serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for serving
- 4 leeks (white and light green parts only), sliced into half-moons
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot on medium. Add leeks, garlic, fennel, and celery, season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Add mashed potatoes, broth, thyme, and bay leaf and simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme and bay leaf. Using immersion blender (or standard blender, in batches), puree soup until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and serve with cracked pepper and drizzle of oil if desired.
Rustic Potato and Fennel Galette (Serves 4)
- For Savory Thyme Dough
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut up (1 stick)
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ice-cold water, plus 1-2 teaspoon to add if necessary For Rustic Potato and Fennel Galette
- 1 small bulb fennel, very thinly sliced
- 1 Yukon gold potato, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 3 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Make Savory Thyme Dough: In food processor, combine flour, thyme and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add vinegar and 1 tablespoon ice-cold water, pulsing until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add remaining water, 1 teaspoon at a time). Do not overmix.
- Transfer dough to piece of plastic wrap and shape into 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Make Rustic Potato and Fennel Galette: Heat oven to 400°F.
- Roll Savory Thyme Dough between parchment to 13-inch circle.
- In large bowl, toss fennel, potato and onion with olive oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fold in Gruyère.
- Slide crust with parchment onto baking sheet. Top with vegetable mixture, leaving 2-inch border. Fold border over filling and brush with egg.
- Bake until vegetables are tender and crust is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes (cover with foil if crust browns too quickly).
The Signature Table
On Twitter @JKetzenberger