Kids in Carmel are getting the chance to have fun and learn at the same time! The Carmel Fire Department, Carmel Police Department, and St. Vincent Carmel Hospital are hosting this year’s Public Safety Day on Saturday, September 19th from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the St. Vincent Carmel Hospital back parking lot.
Firefighters say the goal is for the families to leave Safety Day knowing more than they did when they arrived. Together, they teach, reinforce, and introduce safety concerns to all those in attendance. Safety Day will include educational booths by local businesses and organizations designed to teach children and families basic safety techniques on a wide range of topics. Also, health and wellness booths will be on display. Activities at each booth or area will give children and adults a chance to test their knowledge or ask questions about a given safety, health, or wellness concern. The event is free and everyone is welcome!Carmel Public Safety Day
- Safety Day is from 10am to 3pm on Saturday, September 17th, 2011
- Expected attendance 1500 to 3000 people
- 50 to 60 participating vendors, providing information on either safety, health or wellness
- Special attractions or activities include demonstrations, informational booths, helicopters, kids big wheel race, and family water balloon toss
- 2011 demonstrations include: CFD Vehicle Extrication [inverted vehicle, OWI driver field sobriety testing by CPD, other driver extrication and patient hot load onto air medical helicopter (StatFlight)]; CPD K-9 Unit [hidden drug locating, suspect bites and take downs with trainer in bite suit as a pedestrian and then also as a vehicle driver]; St Vincent Carmel Hospital CPR demo; and Duke Energy Electrical Safety demo
- Three new static displays this year include: Indiana National Guard Blackhawk helicopter, Vietnam era Huey helicopter, and an antique Sheriff’s Prisoner Transport Van
- Other attractions include fire trucks, police cars, dump trucks, air boat, military trucks, antique fire trucks, search dogs, fire dogs, Sheriff’s Dept. dog, horses, police mounted horse patrol, and much more
- Children get the opportunity to visit each informational booth, answer a safety question, get a stamp on their event brochure, and receive a chance to win a bicycle after visiting at least 15 booths
To learn more about the event, visit www.carmel.in.gov/index.aspx?page=127.