We continue supporting our Gr8 Pasta Push with The Produce Moms’ Lori Taylor and her take on all things pasta! Check out today’s recipes:
“The Blend” – Hidden Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce
1 lb ground beef
8oz mushrooms, chopped ultra fine in food processor
1 jar spaghetti sauce
Brown the beef + the mushrooms together in a skillet. Add a jar of tomato sauce, stir well, serve
Walnut Firehouse Chili
● 1 tablespoon olive oil
● 3/4 cup diced onion
● 1/2 cup diced carrot
● 1/2 cup diced celery
● 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
● 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
● 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
● 1 1/2 cups chopped California walnuts
● 1/2 cup black beans
● 1/2 cup kidney beans
● 1 minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce from can
● 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
● 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
● Optional garnishes: toasted chopped walnuts, shredded Cheddar cheese, hot sauce, sour cream, sliced radishes, and fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in chili powder and paprika and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add walnuts, beans, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with any desired garnishes.
Roasted Delicata Squash + Brown Butter + Sage Parmesan Sauce
● Delicata Squash, cut into half moons & oven roasted
● Salt and freshly ground black pepper
● 1 pound cut pasta, like ziti
● 2 tablespoons butter
● fresh sage leaves
● 1 cup or more freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; salt it. Cook pasta until it is tender, but not quite done.
- Meanwhile, place butter in a skillet or saucepan large enough to hold the cooked pasta; turn heat to medium, and add sage. Cook until butter turns nut-brown and sage shrivels, then turn heat to a minimum.
- When the pasta is just about done, scoop out a cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta. Immediately add it to the butter-sage mixture, and raise heat to medium. Add 3/4 cup of the water, and stir; the mixture will be loose and a little soupy. Cook for about 30 seconds, or until some of the water is absorbed and the pasta is perfectly done.
- Stir in cheese; the sauce will become creamy. Thin it with a little more water if necessary. Top with roasted squash. Season liberally with pepper and salt to taste
Glory’s Tomato Sauce
● 1 10-oz. container NatureSweet® Glorys® tomatoes, chopped
● 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
● 4 garlic cloves, minced
● 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
● Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil. Add garlic and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until thickened.