INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — This soup will warm your heart on a cold winter’s night.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sweetener (such as brown sugar, monk fruit or other preferred sweetener)
- 1 can Great Northern beans or cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Homemade Italian Croutons
- 2-3 cups bread cubes (from an Italian loaf of bread, whole wheat bread, or whatever you have on hand)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a medium-sized pot, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add tomato paste and salt, and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and sweetener. Simmer for 20 minutes. Turn soup off and carefully transfer some of the soup to a blender, adding beans and cream.
- Blend on high until smooth. Return soup to the pot and keep blending in batches until fully smooth. Return to low heat if needed.
- For croutons, toss all ingredients on a baking sheet and shake croutons so they are in a single layer on the sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes until toasted.
Serve soup with croutons on top on a cold evening!