INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — “All Indiana” on Thursday featured another “from our family to yours” recipe.
Thursday’s recipe is from Amanda Royalty.
Amanda’s Cozy Mac N Cheese Bake
½ pound of a whole wheat or protein based rotinini, penne, macaroni or shells (I personally like to use Banza)
2 T of butter (I use non-RBST or organic)
1 ½ T of whole wheat flour 1 cup of milk (I use organic, but the recipe does not say what percent for the milk)
½ cup of Gouda cheese (I buy a block and chop it up)
½ cup of Havarti cheese (I buy a block and chop it up)
1 cup of shredded part-skim milk mozzarella cheese
1½ T of hot sauce (you can use as little as you like, but we like spicier foods in our home)
Salt and pepper for taste (optional)
1 cup of chopped broccoli
1 cup of shredded oven roasted or rotisserie chicken
2 T grated Parmesan
1½ T wheat germ
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat; add the pasta and cook it according to the directions on the package.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook until a paste forms, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the milk and let it come to a boil, stirring constantly. When the milk thickens slightly, remove it from the heat and add the Gouda, Havarti, and mozzarella cheese. Stir until the cheeses melt. Season the cheese sauce with hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste, and then set aside.
4. Drain the pasta, shaking off any excess water, then add the cheese sauce and stir to coat evenly. Add the broccoli and chicken and stir to combine. Place the pasta mixture in a 9×13 baking dish.
5. Mix the Parmesan cheese and wheat germ in a small bowl and stir to mix. Sprinkle this mix over the pasta.
6. Bake the pasta and cheese until hot and bubbly, about 10 min.